Thursday, June 27, 2013

Alex Jr. Mix 'N Max Wooden Whimsy Blocks Baby Toy

Alex Jr. Mix 'N Max Wooden Whimsy Blocks Baby ToyWhere do I start when listing the appeal of this set of blocks? I fell in love with them at first sight. I'm even buying an extra set for an architect friend without kids who likes creative, artsy structures. But of course they are designed for babies, toddlers, and even children and they also love them.

Other features and benefits:

1. These go WAY beyond a standard set of blocks. You know the ones I mean: the traditional ones which consist of simple solid-colored squares or perhaps a mix of rectangles, cubes, and circles and a limited number of colors. Of course, there is nothing wrong with basic blocks but Whimsy Blocks encourage extra creativity. Images of human faces, flowers, hearts, and more allow youngsters who want to go beyond building houses to design people, gardens, and a mix of creations. Fun! And yes, I had to have my turn with these after the visiting kids were in bed.

2. Whoever created the designs on each of these "Whimsey Blocks" (and they truly are whimsical) really understands what appeals to young ones. The images are easy to see, the colors are vivid, and the shapes are amazingly varied. I particularly liked the blocks with the smiling faces because mobiles and toys with face designs were among the first which grabbed our young ones' attention.

3. These are made of thick wood which is easy to grasp. Even the smaller pieces are simple to pick up by small fingers. And no splinters (probably something you'd assume but I'm pointing it out anyway).

4. Photos on the back of the box provide design inspiration for parents who want to demonstrate stacking skills.

5. If you live in a small space, the 15 blocks have a very small footprint and store compactly. Even a tiny bedroom or play space should have room for these.

6. This is one of those toys which can last for years. Even 4 and 5 year olds can practice balancing skills with the various shapes. So your baby or child could get years of use out of these, a bargain for the dollars spent. They can begin to use the blocks as babies and keep using them through preschool or perhaps even beyond then.

7. Finally, a real selling point for us is that these are so lovely they can be displayed in any room where a dose of color is desirable. Visitors don't automatically know these are toys and usually can't resist touching and experimenting with these themselves. As noted above, I'm giving a set to an architect friend.

Classy move by Amazon: In the description, Amazon literature notes: "Our testers .... did notice that a few of the decals on the blocks were beginning to flake around the edges. This didn't cause any unsightly peeling at the time of testing, though it could be an issue after a few months of well-loved play."

We haven't experienced this yet but I sure do appreciate the "heads up" from Amazon's product info on this. Impressive!

My 10-month old loves these blocks almost as much as I do. We are regularly fighting over who gets to play with the block that has a hole in it. She always wins and its not fair. Also, I can build really cool block towers and she just knocks them down. Great colors (on both sides), super durable construction, and not too small features all make these a great product. Fun!

Buy Alex Jr. Mix 'N Max Wooden Whimsy Blocks Baby Toy Now

My daughter LOVES these blocks! Mostly for knocking them down every time I build something for her, but that's what they're made for, right? :) I know when she's older she will have so much fun building things on her own, especially since they are painted with such cute designs and with so much color.

My one and only reason for not giving this toy 5 stars is that the paint chips off the edges of the blocks very easily. Yes, my daughter is rough with them since she knocks them over all the time, but I worry that after a year of use there won't be any paint left on the edges with how fast it's chipping off right now!

Read Best Reviews of Alex Jr. Mix 'N Max Wooden Whimsy Blocks Baby Toy Here

These are pretty blocks, but there aren't a lot of them. I suppose I shouldn't complain -it's not like I don't have enough kids stuff cluttering my house -but for the money, I want more blocks.

My 13 month old likes them. He's not old enough yet to really stack them, but they are colorful enough to catch his eye, pleasant to touch and pass from hand to hand, and from his hand to mine. I think they are actually pretty fun to stack, as they come in non traditional shapes which make building kinda cool.

The only downside is 1) as stated earlier, I wish there were more, and 2) some of the pieces -especially the little flower one -seem to already be chipping their paint, and we've only had them for about 6 weeks. But I have nothing to compare the blocks to, so I'm guessing that's par for the course with a block a kid plays with as much as mine does with these.

Recommended (with reservations as to cost/block)

Want Alex Jr. Mix 'N Max Wooden Whimsy Blocks Baby Toy Discount?

When most people think of blocks for their toddlers, they think about the classic embossed alphabet ABCs. No doubt they are wonderful, but The Alix Jr. Mix `N Max Whimsy Blocks simply sparkle, literally in a couple of them. I absolutely love the concept behind these artistically rendered blocks. There are fifteen blocks, no two alike with an assortment of geometric shapes.

What I like about these blocks:

++ These block encourage creative thinking in that there are numerous ways to stack them. Each attempt will be a unique experience.

++ They encourage problem solving. How can I stack or arrange these unusual geometric shapes without them falling over?

++ They encourage the development of fine motor activity in a variety of ways due to the unusual shapes of many blocks.

++ Visual-spatial abilities can be nurtured with assistance.

++ The assorted patterns on these blocks are a perfect introduction/exposure to artistic design.

++ These blocks are heavy, quite durable, and provided they are stored properly can be handed down to siblings. The glitter probably will not last, but the underlying color will be fine.

If you like a little flair to blocks for your toddler, I'd definitely recommend these blocks. No harm in adding a set of the Classic Embossed Alphabet Blocks ABC blocks while you're at it. These would make the perfect shower gift or, if you're a grandmother like me, to keep them at your house for when your grandchild comes over. These will definitely be a winner, especially for the older toddler who is getting into more creative, constructive developmental playtime.

Save 42% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment