Saturday, February 1, 2014

Radio Flyer Scoot-About

Radio Flyer Scoot-AboutI couldn't decide between the wooden version of the scoot trike or the metal so I purchased both and can compare the two.

The wooden version is very retro and cute, but metal version is a bit larger. My son is tall and will be able to use it longer so that is the one that we are going to keep.

Seat: Metal version has a hard plastic seat, and the screws go through it so they show. The seat has 3 heights. The lowest height is slightly higher than the seat on the wooden version. The seat is also slightly further back from the handlebars than the seat on the wooden version

Wooden version has a lightly padded seat, and the screws do not show.

Handlebars: Metal version has Y shaped bars. The hand grips are already attached. The streamers are made of red and white ribbon.

Wooden version has a straight handlebar. The hand grips are a cheaper plastic and are difficult to slide onto the bar. The streamers are a red vinyl that doesn't hang as nicely.

Bell: Both versions have the same bell.

"Tires": Very similar between the two. The metal version has wheels that are hard and smooth. The wooden version has wheels that are a bit softer and have slight grooves. We have only used the trikes indoors so I don't know how well they would hold up outside.

Overall build: The wooden version does have a wooden body, steering column, and front axle with metal pieces to connect them all. The metal version has a metal body and connection pieces with a plastic front axle.

Assembly: The metal trike was easier to put together, but neither was super difficult. I did end up with an unexpected gap between the frame and the steering column on the wooden trike, but I don't know if that is a defect or not.

I purchased this for my daughter's first birthday. It was easy to assemble, and she was so excited the second she saw it. Seems very stable under her she hasn't turned it over yet. I also like the fact that it's light for me to carry, it doesn't mark the furniture or walls, and with the seat height adjustment, I think we will get a couple years' use out of it.

Buy Radio Flyer Scoot-About Now

I gave this to Serenity (almost 14 months) for a Christmas present and she immediately LOVED it! It took her all of 30 minutes to figure out how to get on and off the bike and about a hour to learn how to go forward and NOT just backwards. Her steering isn't quite was she wants it to be, but she's learning! She rides around saying, "vroom vroom" she's too cute! It's a great learning tool for that beautiful Radio Flyer Classic Red Tricycle I get her someday soon!

I didn't have any problems at all putting it together like some of the reviewers did. I did it by myself (without my husband's help) and in about 30 minutes.

It's very light and fits in my trunk so I can take it anywhere easily which is good because Serenity loves it so much. She hasn't tipped it yet, so I would say that it's sturdy. My friend's older kids (6 & 9) think it's really cool and they want to ride it too! People have already asked me where I found it!

I would recommend the Scoot-About as a wonderful 1st birthday or Christmas present!

Read Best Reviews of Radio Flyer Scoot-About Here

Bought 3 of these for our 3 two year old grandchildren. They seem to like them very much, though one of the 3 had some quality control issues (handle bar on one was difficult to turn).

Want Radio Flyer Scoot-About Discount?

I share the views of a couple of other viewers that the quality control could be a bit better. I am handy with tools and it took me about 30 minutes to put together, with the aid of my wife holding a couple of parts. The screws that go on the underside are cheap and would be easily stripped if you tried to tighten them too much. The hole that holds the bolt in the steering fork was off a hair -that took a good 5-7 minutes for something that should take 30 seconds. The plastic seems of pretty good quality. The steering is a bit tight, and should be easier for a toddler. These are fit and finish issues -Radio Flyer, a good Illinois company, needs to talk to their fabricator in China about these issues.

Save 28% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment