Friday, June 6, 2014

LeapFrog My First Book: Good Night Scout

LeapFrog My First Book: Good Night ScoutWe decided on this book over the other versions (Fisher Price & VTech) because of it's simplisty & it didn't come with "number & letters" lessons. We have all those toys we could ever need! We love that this book! It reads a story or sings a song about a night time routine. It also goes with the Tag Jr. Buddy Pal reader when they are ready! Makes me so happy!

There were so many great reviews about this book that I was sure I was going to like it. So I bought 2, one for my 18 month old niece for Christmas (the farm book) and the other (Good Night Scout) for my 8 month old daughter. I excitedly tried each, but was disappointed right away. There are only 3 pages! I was shocked. As soon as the story began, it ended. I understand that this is meant for young babies and toddlers, but even my 8 month old has a longer attention span than that. She loves helping mommy turn pages and while the book is very durable, at just 3 pages long, it doesn't give her much opportunity.

Now the book does tell you that you can push a button to hear more of the Scout story, but without the words in front of you, it fails to ultimately provide one of the important aspects of a storybook, which is sight word recognition.

I also noticed that with other distractions or sounds nearby, the voice from the machine did not capture my little ones attention nearly as much as when mommy and daddy read her a story. I found myself reading the pages after the book to redirect her. You can turn off the sound and just read the book yourself, but then why buy the book except for its durability? It also plays songs and lullabys, but there are many toys out there that do that.

All in all, if you are looking for a book with sound that teaches a story of regular length and captures your little ones attention, maybe you would be more interested in one of the Hallmark recordable storybooks. They are longer and you can record mommy and daddy's voice to them as well as insert your babies name so that they never lose interest and smile with each page turn.

Buy LeapFrog My First Book: Good Night Scout Now

My husband and I are very interested in introducing our newborn to a love of reading from a very early age. Although this book is recommended for children who are 6 months or older, our 2-month-old loves it. We enjoy flipping through the pages with her, and there are so many different tracks that accompany each page. She particularly likes the tracks with the animal sounds (dog barking) and also the singing tracks. As she gets older, she'll be more interested in following the words on the page. For now, though, she's just learning that books are fun.

Edited to add: Our baby is now 10 months old, and she still loves this book. There is a button on the book that, when pressed, will play a different track for the page. Sometimes it's a song or a description of the picture on the page. Our daughter has discovered how to use this button, and she presses it over and over to hear all the words, songs, and sounds for each page. This is a fun and interactive toy that has introduced our baby to a love of reading.

Read Best Reviews of LeapFrog My First Book: Good Night Scout Here

This book was a gift from Grandma. My son doesn't put this thing down when he gets his hands on it. Since he was 6 months old he's always loved to listen to the story and flip the pages. Its a very durable toy. My son on occasion has used the book handle to thrash it on our hardwood floors and it still works the same as when we took it out of the box. The one drawback that I do not like about the book is that it will play the same story line by flipping the pages and requires the button on the top to be pressed for additional story line. My son is 10 months old and doesn't quite understand this concept yet. But overall the book is very engaging to him and is a welcomed distraction for myself when I need to get some quick cleaning done or cooking!

Want LeapFrog My First Book: Good Night Scout Discount?

I love LeapFrog and almost everything from them! So when I saw this book on sale I grabbed it for my fourth son who was turning one. I thought that it would be a little more durable than the other books and if it was like one that I had gotten for my first son (which has disappeared somewhere so I was looking for a comparable replacement)VTech Rhyme and Discover Book I would have been happy. But, it wasn't.

It is sturdy! He and his brothers have read it and my three year old really likes the music and flipping through it but it doesn't hold their attention long. It is so short! :( And it does make sounds when you're on the page but it's not interactive like the VTech that I loved before.

It does have two volume levels :) and the songs are nice but I wouldn't buy it again. It would be interesting to see it in action with Tag Jr. to see if it is really neat when used with it. Oh well! Save your money or buy the VTech!

No comments:

Post a Comment