Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sassy Me In The Mirror

Sassy Me In The MirrorUnlike some of the other mirrors for babies this one is pretty low-key, no flashing lights and not a lot of noise. That being said the Me in Mirror is still an excellent toy for your newborn. This was one of the first things that I bought for my daughter, toywise. Even if your little baby hasn't mastered grabbing at things, they should still enjoy this toy. After all babies are fascinated by faces.

I use the Me in The Mirrir primarily as a crib mirror, when I had used it as a toy for her during tummy time, she had managed to almost pull it onto her head. About the warning for a choking hazard: this is concerning safety pins, I never used the safety pins, instead I tie it to my daughter's crib.

My daughter enjoys carrying a conversation with herself, of course she probably thinks that there is another baby. It is a lot of fun just watching her look at herself in the mirror and laugh. She also enjoys playing with the gummy ring and the rattles that are attached to the mirror.

This Sassy product caught my eye because of its colors when I was searching for something for my baby's crib during playtime. Me in the Mirror provides the reflective mirror and some cute and colorful attached toys around the border which spring off with velcro for easy play, but I found the toy did not stand or prop up in the crib, and if we tied it to the side my daughter could not really get to it. It's cute if you just want something inexpensive and bright for brief amusement, but it could really use a better anchor system so it stays put at baby's distance. The side opposite the mirror has a slot for you to insert a picture of family or of baby so they begin to recognize photos and this is a nice extra.

Buy Sassy Me In The Mirror Now

When my daughter was a few weeks old, my husband and I went to the store to get her a mirror, because we'd read that babies like to look at faces. We chose this one because of the fact that it can either tie to the side of the crib or fold out to stand upright on the floor. The toys were also a big factor in the sell, as they meant that she could keep playing with the mirror when she wasn't content to just stare at it anymore.

We took it home, and she loved it! We laid her on the floor and set it up next to her, and she stared at her reflection and reached for the baby and was pretty happy for quite a while, just looking at herself. As she got older and discovered her hands, she started playing with the toys, the bird being her favorite. It has a bell in it, so she'd shake it to hear the bird.

Now that she's 9 months old, she still loves it. The mirror hangs in her crib now, and when she wakes up in the morning, she talks to her reflection. This was definitely a good buy and I would (and have!) refer it to anyone.

Read Best Reviews of Sassy Me In The Mirror Here

I looked at Fisher Price's Activity Crib Mirrors with flashing lights and sounds. I looked at Baby Einstein.

But I chose the Sassy "Me in the Mirror" for several reasons (and ended up buying two, one for home and one for Grandpa Daycare).

1. The mirror is a nice big square mirror, large enough for baby to see his WHOLE face, not just his eyes and nose or nose and mouth in, like some of the Fisher Price and Baby Einstein mirrors.

Babies need to see themselves making faces and sounds so that they can recognize speech patterns and learn that when they go "Oooo", their face is elongated vs. "Ahhhh", where they look more like they are smiling. They also interact with their image, delightedly learning in time that they are smiling back at themselves.

A small mirror doesn't allow a baby to see anything but disjointed images.

2. The toys on this mirror don't obstruct baby's image, but they do capture baby's imagination. My three month old son immediately grabbed for the sun, which twists left and right and also has a squeezy toy inside that squeeks, moving it like a little steering wheel. He doesn't really enjoy tummy time, unless it's on mommy or daddy's stomach, but he immediately took to being on his stomach in front of this mirror! YAY!

Some of the other toys on this mirror were also very entertaining for him; the little curly fabric swatches, he grabs onto and pulls the mirror towards himself (with mom watching to make sure it won't tip over). The birdy is a shaker rattle with crinkly wings, and the ladybug is a spinny toy with soft felty green fur and yellow ribbon legs.

The whole mirror is brightly colored in highly contrasting colors and geometric shapes, just begging for baby to look at it. It can be stood up like a tent for tummy time, it can be attached to a crib and angled towards baby, it also can lay flat, with velcro keeping the mirror from tenting out. And on the back is a clear plastic pocket where you are encouraged to put a picture of people baby loves, so that when he plays with the toy, he is reminded of those who love him.

3. I have a lot of toys that make noise and have lights and sounds, but I wanted a mirror toy that was quiet; that would encourage baby to make the sounds at the mirror, instead of baby stopping his cooing and ooing and ahhing in order to listen to another rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". This mirror encourages baby to squeal in delight at himself, or touch the image looking back at himself.

4. The reflective surface is not glass, but a plastic/metal (?) and that's a safety feature I really like, I've heard of mirrors breaking and potentially putting baby in harms way. And, also another feature I consider important is that it's lightweight. If this crib mirror were to accidentally topple and bonk baby on the noggin in tent mode (heaven forbid, because that means I wasn't paying attention to baby and would be missing his sweet smiles, as well as being negligent), it would do no lasting harm besides startling baby and causing him to cry for a bit (and hopefully that would get my attention and as a parent I'd swoop in, cuddle and comfort him).

5. And finally...The Price is Right. The mirror is inexpensive and doesn't require batteries. And it seems like everything out there requires batteries in order to entertain baby. Sassy's Me in the Mirror proves you don't need batteries to capture baby's attention.

Cheers!

Want Sassy Me In The Mirror Discount?

I bought this versatile (and fairly inexpensive) little mirror, not for in the crib, but for in the car and it works great! I was facing a 500 mile drive, alone with a 4 year old and a 2.5 month old who hated the car. Literally screamed every time (for the whole time) we were in it. I was desparately browsing through the toy store and came across this. I attached it to the head rest posts with the crib ties and it sits at just the right angle for my little one to see. I'm not sure whether she likes the patterns or seeing herself but she clearly loves the mirror. We made the trip (both wasy) with a bare minimum of crying. Love it, love it, love it. Did I mention that I love it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment