Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fisher Price Baby's First Silver Rattle Teether Gift Set

Fisher Price Baby's First Silver Rattle Teether Gift SetI liked the concept of the basic baby rattle, but the instructions on the box for washing are wrong. They are "Before first use and after each use, wash with hot soapy water, then rinse." I was wary of submerging them, as they didn't appear watertight, but didn't want to give them to my daughter without washing them. I used a soapy dishcloth to wipe them and then rinsed them in running water; sure enough, water was stuck between the clear plastic covers and the silver rattle parts. There's no way to separate the layers get the water out, and I'm assuming there will be mold eventually (I washed them a week ago and they are still wet inside). Not sure if they designed them to be just wiped with a damp cloth like most other toys and the instructions were wrong or if the company thought they were waterproof but didn't test them.

I talked to customer service through the chat on their website; they were quick to offer a voucher for the amount of the purchase price, but its only good in retail stores, not online. They didn't really seem to be concerned with the problem; they said they hadn't heard of it before with this product. Sounded like a canned line, but it is a newer product, so it is possible. It would be a great product if they were waterproof, but I either had a customer service rep who didn't care, or they know all about the problem and have been instructed to pay out immediately. I guess I'll follow my instinct next time and wipe with a damp cloth.

My three-month old son received these as a gift. I thought they were really cute and funny. Before I opened the box, I was worried about the silver-colored coating chipping off when he sucked on them, but it turns out that there is a clear plastic casing over the "silver" part, so that is not a concern.

The problem is that the clear plastic casing is not water-tight. On the box, it says, "Before first use and after each use, wash with hot soapy water and rinse." Since my son sucks on everything, I went ahead and washed them. The soapy water went between the clear plastic and the shiny plastic and you could still see little bubbles of soap in there even after I rinsed them. I let them dry for a while after washing them (but, since the water is trapped in there, I'm not sure whether it's possible for them to dry all the way) and let my son play with them, but I was still worried about the possibility of there being soapy water in there. They seem alright for now, but I also think it's possible that they'll get mildewy if they don't dry out. I've only had them for a day now and I'm washing them and drying them again -I'll have to wait and see how long it takes them to dry out and how long the rattles last.

Basically, these are a cute gift, but I would consider them more of a novelty than a really workable toy. My son enjoyed playing with them and sucking on them, but that will only make them need to be cleaned again. Fisher Price needs to work on making the casing water-tight -then they would be a great toy!

Buy Fisher Price Baby's First Silver Rattle Teether Gift Set Now

No comments:

Post a Comment