Sunday, November 24, 2013

LEGO Duplo Basic Bricks (80 Pcs.)

LEGO Duplo Basic BricksWe had a really difficult time finding a decent starter set of Duplo bricks. They just don't sell the simple sets in the stores anymore, which makes no sense because they are the BEST sets. So we ordered this set from Lego. For about half what they're asking here. I've noticed a trend of Lego having the fairest prices of all the stores selling their products. Odd. Anyway, for anything Lego, I would definitely do some comparison shopping using the company website first.

With this set, I was concerned beforehand that there might not be a wide enough variety of pieces, despite the generous number (80 pieces total). This was due in great part to the fact that I couldn't seem to find any photos of the side of the box where they give the detailed information and really this is the only information you're wanting before making a rather sizable Lego purchase, right? Since no one else has mentioned this, I'll show what a total geek I am by publishing these details.

Here's the breakdown of the pieces by size:

56 2x2 peg square pieces

20 2x4 peg rectangular pieces

2 2x4 peg pieces (1/2 thickness of regular pieces)

1 2x6 peg long rectangular piece

1 2x8 peg ex-long rectangular piece

And by color!

14 red

13 each of green and yellow

12 blue

8 each of light green and orange

5 each of black and white

2 transparent blue 2x2 peg pieces

The transparent pieces were an immediate source of tension between my two daughters; they both love them. The entire set is fantastic. It's just the right amount of pieces, and I didn't feel like Lego was as stingy with the rectangles as in the previous 'My First Lego Set' we'd bought. Or maybe it's just that we now finally have enough Legos to really build something! I do wish there had been a couple more large rectangles, and maybe a couple more transparent pieces, but that's not really a gripe.

I think if you're starting out with Duplos, there isn't a better set out there with the right amount of creative, open-ended pieces and affordability. We would have started with this one had it been sold in stores. Another point in its favor, at least as far as I'm concerned, is that it was not made in China or Mexico, but rather in Denmark, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

My 14-month-old loves these Duplo blocks. Me too, for that matter. We can sit and build stuff for 30-40 minutes at a time, which is a remarkable feat of focus for him. The colors are great, the blocks are big enough to be safe and manageable in his little hands. I look forward to this being the starting point of a lifelong love of Legos for him (just like his papa!)

Buy LEGO Duplo Basic Bricks (80 Pcs.) Now

I bought this for my (2 yr. old) Grandaughter's birthday as an addition to "Ultimate Lego Duplo Building Set" & "Dora's Backyard Surprise". She absolutely loves the set & has played with it for hours.....everyday, since her birthday in February.

It's wonderful to watch the progress of building skills & observe the idea's of the little ones working with utilizing color, strategy & weight.

This is a definite "need to buy" item if you are purchasing the "ULTIMATE LEGO DUPLO SET". Both sets will fit in the Ultimate Lego Duplo Hardcase & are excellent additions to other sets like......Dora's Backyard Surprise.

I think you & your little one will find this item worth the $$.

Read Best Reviews of LEGO Duplo Basic Bricks (80 Pcs.) Here

The same product is available . It's called LEGO® DUPLO® Basic Bricks Deluxe.

update: when I wrote this review, this item cost about 2x more than it's currently listed for. Glad to see the price dropped.

Want LEGO Duplo Basic Bricks (80 Pcs.) Discount?

I got this set of Duplos for my baby nephew for Christmas. It's got a good assortment of bricks, including plenty of 2x4 and 2x2's, plus a few longer ones. It's a good first set of Duplos, and while you won't be able to make anything too fancy there's enough to make some basic things. I had both Duplos and Legos as a kid and they're still some of the best "toys" I've ever had. And if you didn't know, Legos and Duplos can actually work together; they're all accurately scaled. That way your child can move up to Legos and still incorporate the larger Duplo bricks for some really ambitious creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment