Monday, January 27, 2014

Tumblin' Sounds Goldfish

Tumblin' Sounds GoldfishMy son loves these Fisher Price toys and received the goldfish for his first birthday. He has fun with it, but it's not as entertaining to him as some of the other Peek-a-Blocks toys he has. The fish has some shining scales on one side and some holes on the other side, both of which my son likes to poke. The top of the fish has a flat spot to stack blocks and a green handle. My son doesn't use either of these which surprises me because he really likes carrying the Peek-a-Blocks Tumblin' Giraffe around by its handle.

The goldfish comes with four blocks which my son likes to play with a swiveling octopus, a seastar that slides along a post, a clam that opens and closes and a sand castle with rattling colored balls. The blocks fit into an opening near the top of the fish and they fall on a button which will start a tune playing. Pushing down on the tail of the fish opens the mouth so the blocks fall out while another tune plays. The mouth of the fish does not close all the way; it still has an opening so fingers and hands do not get pinched.

There are two things that my son and I both seem slightly displeased about. If the goldfish is upright, only two or three blocks fit in it. The first two blocks can fall in such a way that they are stacked right up to the opening. If it doesn't happen with two blocks, it always happens with three and the fourth block will only fit if I tip the fish backward and shake it around to reposition the blocks. Also, only the first block my son puts in will play a tune. Subsequent blocks do not fall hard enough to press the button. My son really likes to be rewarded by the music after he gets a block in, so I press the button on the back (which normally gets pressed when the mouth is opened) to play him a tune for getting the second and third blocks in the goldfish.

Overall, my son has fun with this goldfish and plays with it a bit each day.

I've had great luck with all the Fisher Price toys I've bought for my daughter. We picked this one up today, and was looking forwards to having something for her to play with her peek a blocks she received in the past.

Just a few things:

You can only fit 3 blocks in the fish at a time (it came with 4)

When it comes time to "open" the fishes mouth, my daughter can't figure it out and the fish just tips over on it's side. I mean, she is only 11 months old but with a rating of 6 months and up you'd think this wouldnt be difficult.

Good things about the toy--the music it plays is very cute, short and sweet. My daughter caught on right away where to put the blocks, but quickly got upset since you can only fit 3 inside.

OH, it has this little green handle on it too, where you can "stack" other blocks around. How stupid, as soon as you push the tail down to release the blocks, the ones stacked on top just fall off. Oh well, it was only 13 bucks so I'm not too upset about it.

All in all, she was way better toys than this one. I guess it's back to the toy store to pick out a different peek a blocks accessory.

Buy Tumblin' Sounds Goldfish Now

I was out one day shopping for age appropriate toys for my 8 month old and saw this. I bought it since it has the peek a blocks that my son enjoys from his other toys.

The only thing about this toy that my son likes is the blocks. The fish itself doesn't hold his attention. He stops and listens to the music, but other than that he is not interested. It comes with 4 blocks but only 3 really fits inside the fish. The fact that you have to press on the fish to make the mouth open and release the blocks is a little too advanced for an 8 month old, let along for 6 months, which is the age this toy is rated for.

My son is now 10 months and still ignores the fish.

If you want a toy that will hold your child's attention, I would pass by this one and keep looking.

Read Best Reviews of Tumblin' Sounds Goldfish Here

I bought this toy at Toys R Us because it was on clearance for $7 (normally $15). I like the Peek-a-Blocks, and this one being so cheap, seemed like a good deal.

Good points: it comes with four blocks (although by far not the most entertaining of the Peek-a-Blocks sets) and the music is soft and plays a very pleasant tune; it stores nicely, all 4 blocks fit inside and the unit is compact.

Bad points: it is not very entertaining; my 6-month-old barely looks at it compared to her other toys

This is an okay toy for $7. For $15, there are much better toys out there.

Want Tumblin' Sounds Goldfish Discount?

My daughter got this for her birthday. She doesn't even play with the fish. She likes the blocks, though, so we've put them in her other block toy and she plays with them.

The blocks are too big for the fish and they don't come out easily. It's just not a fun toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment