Saturday, August 23, 2014

Brainy Baby Spanish/English Flashcards

Brainy Baby Spanish/English FlashcardsBasically, the title for this review says it all: This is a nice set of cards, but not very durable.

I bought these cards for my 21 month old son. He loves books and other cards with pictures. We are a bilingual household (I speak English; his father speaks Spanish), so I wanted him to have some books and materials in both languages. The other cards that we have (e.g., My Baby Can Read pull-out cards, Eric Carle Animal Flash Cards) are more like pages of board books--quite sturdy. These cards are much thinner, a very thin cardboard.

On the plus side, there are a lot of cards here (36). They have clear, attractive pictures. Some of the cards have the same picture on the front and the back, with English on one side and Spanish on the other. (The Spanish words are phonetically transcribed.) Other cards have a picture on the front (e.g., a basketball) and then a handprint on the back with the color listed (e.g., orange in the case of the basketball). Some cards do the same with numbers--picture on the front and then the number on the back.

My son likes them, but he has already bent quite a few of them. We've only had them about a week.

Just as a final side note: These cards are also very slippery when left on uncarpeted floors. I have ceramic floors, my son tends to scatter the cards around when he's looking at them. The other day, he went running across the floor, stepped on one, and went flying, landing directly on his back. He has stepped on his other cards before, and they haven't slid so quickly that he would wipe out. I need to be much more careful that he doesn't leave them lying on the floor.

Overall, I'd probably give these 3 1/2 stars if I could. They are attractive and educational, and my son likes them. I just wish the quality of the cards was a little higher.

Save 25% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment