Saturday, August 16, 2014

Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride Coupe

Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride CoupeMy husband and I really loved this toy, especially the functionality of the removable handle, so we took our son to the local Toys R' Us to try it out. My son absolutely loved it, but he kept sliding down in the seat and trying to climb out. We looked at a few other competitor's models and found them to have safety belts, which made them preferable. We cannot understand why a company as large as Little Tykes that specializes in children's toys does not comprehend the need for a safety belt on their ride on toys! Anyway, we read one of the reviews on this toy where a woman ordered a replacement belt for the toddler high back swing from the Little Tykes website and drilled and cut holes in this car and added this seat belt to make it safer. Well, we found a better way of installing a seat belt. A competitor, Step 2, has a product called the "Push Around Buggy" which has a seat belt that screws into the car. I went to their website and called their phone number and ordered a replacement belt for their item, which only costs around $2.50! What a deal! Well, all you have to do is screw the seat belt straps into each side of the car and viola', you have a safer version of the Little Tykes Cozy Push and Ride Car. We sincerely hope Little Tykes will catch on to parent's concerns about the safety of their little ones and make sure all of their ride on toys are equipped with a safety belt!

I bought this toy as an alternative to my stroller for taking walks around the neighborhood. My son (I bought this for him at 17 months) would get bored in the stroller, so I thought this would be fun. Well, he does really like this car, but there are some issues with it. First, there is no safety belt, so your child can attempt to stand whenever the desire moves them. Second, when pushing him on cement it is extremely loud (my husband wanted me to stop using it for this reason alone--I cannot overemphasize how loud this thing is! We were concerned with hearing loss). Last, although there is a cup holder on the inside for baby, it would be nice to have some type of holder on the exterior for the parents--to hold a beverage, or keys or something. If the wheels were redesigned to make this toy quieter, an exterior cup holder added, and especially a safety belt added I would give this 5 stars. For now, I give it 3.

Buy Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride Coupe Now

Prior to purchasing this sweet ride, my son had the ridden many a mile in the standard Little Tikes Cozy Coupe. After suffering through days of back pain, I realized their had to be a better way...well, this is it. This car had 2 distinct advantages over the cozy coupe:

1) The removable push handle..saves the old back. Also allows me to push for longer periods of time, and this has all but replaced our stroller.

2) Removable floorboard...although my son wanted to be pushed in the cozy coupe, he would sometimes forget to lift his feet, thus scraping his toes and causing many "ouchies"...removable floorboard prevents this in push mode. He can always remove when ready to push himself in Flintstone mode.

Bottom line: This vehicle is more versatile than the cozy coupe. There's nothing the cozy coupe can do that this vehicle can't.

Read Best Reviews of Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride Coupe Here

I bought this for my son when he was 9 months old. He too got bored with the stroller. I loved the built in cup holder! The only problem was that since the floorboard was in he would try to stand up. There was no seat belt to secure him in. We found a way to fix the problem: We cut off the staps off an old grocery shopping cart and bolted them into the back of the car. This completely worked and was a life safer. So if anyone needs a seat belt try that.

Want Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride Coupe Discount?

My 20 month-old got this for Christmas, and I have never seen him so excited over a toy! He calls for his "cah-cah" (car-car) the first thing every morning and basically has to be pried from it for eating or nap time. He loves the opening door. Since he's a bigger baby, he's just the right size to push it with his feet, but for longer walks, it's a must to have the floorboard in so his feet won't drag.

I was a little surprised that this version of the Cozy Coupe is a good bit smaller than the original Coupe without the push-bar. My five year old is way to big for it, although it's perfect for my 20 month old when the floorboard is out. With the floorboard in, he still fits in it, but his knees are almost up by the steering wheel because the floorboard sits pretty high. He doesn't mind at all, though, and seems realy comfortable when we go for walks.

I thought the suggestion from another reviewer about ordering a replacement screw-in seat belt for a similar push and ride car from the Step 2 company was ingenious. I've called and ordered one, since having a seat belt seems necessary for going on walks. My son also sometimes tries to stand up and climb out while I'm pushing it.

Also, another review from a few years ago commented on how LOUD these plastic wheels are on pavement or concrete. After reading her comment and remembering how loud my older son's regular Cozy Coupe was, I went out and bought 2 rolls of black electrical tape and wound half of each roll around the middle part of each wheel, making a kind of cushiony strip around the middle of each. I think it helped with noise a lot, and the black tape is hardly noticable. If you've already used the car outside, you might need to clean the wheels and dry them so the tape will stick.

I do wish the car were a bit bigger and had a seatbelt, but all in all, I think my son (and me and Dad) will really get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment