Thursday, July 31, 2014

Melissa & Doug Large Shapes Jumbo Puzzle

Melissa & Doug Large Shapes Jumbo PuzzleI just purchased this puzzle for my 16 month old daughter who enjoys it. However, the colors of the plug and the hole are supposed to match and they don't. Some are just very different shades and two are different colors altogether (purple versus blue/ orange versus red). Since color recognition is a fundamental aspect of this puzzle, this seems to be a significant flaw.

I also found as another reviewer did that the pieces don't seem to have been removed and cleaned after the jig cut them out. There is particle board dust that seems to keep wearing off with continued use even after it is cleaned with a damp cloth. This can be considered a small trade off for the price of the toy since it is so functional and educational.

However, the only concern I have with the dust is whether there are any chemicals from glue or other materials that might have some degree of toxicity. The pieces are in no way deteriorating of crumbling apart; there is just dust that my daughter found fascinating and began licking off her fingers.

The pegs to hold the pieces are perfect. The pieces fit well, not too loose, not too tight. I really like this puzzle for my daughter and hope that I can get it exchanged for one that has accurately corresponding colors.

We have a lot of different puzzles for our daughter and this is our favorite. The background is simple and doesn't distract from the placement of the pieces. The wooden knobs are easy for her to grasp and the pieces are simple shapes and colors that she can recognize and easily put where they belong. She's learning colors and shapes from our "play" with this puzzle and doesn't get frustrated with it like she does with some other puzzles. I highly recommend this puzzle.

Buy Melissa & Doug Large Shapes Jumbo Puzzle Now

We were so happy to have received this as a gift for our daughter. However, there is not one piece that correctly goes into place. The circle, which you would assume would be the easiest piece to place (since there are no edges) is the hardest to place, because of the notch that was made to cut out the circle. The remaining pieces (excluding the oval and rectangle) should fit in any direction, however they are only cut to fit one way. For instance, the square (4 right angles) should fit in any direction, but it only fits one way. We are highly disappointed in this company.

Read Best Reviews of Melissa & Doug Large Shapes Jumbo Puzzle Here

While this puzzle is educational and my 1 year old daughter loves to play with it, it is NOT solid wood as the manufacturer claims. It is made with particle board. It came full of saw dust, too. The pictures are like stickers and I can already see them peeling off after 1 week bc my daughter puts the pieces in her mouth. What 1 year old doesn't? If it was actually ALL solid wood and painted with non-toxic paint, it would be better and I would have given it 4 or 5 stars then.

Want Melissa & Doug Large Shapes Jumbo Puzzle Discount?

My 13 month old son loves this, but I unfortunately have to echo the comments that it's poorly made. The saw dust went away after a bit, and I can live with the fact that the pieces can sometimes be difficult to put in, but the biggest problem is that my son is chewing the paper off the top of the pieces. It's kind of shocking actually, that they would manufacture a product that could be chewed away so easily when the product is geared toward children that are likely to put things in their mouths! I'll probably end up throwing it out shortly, but I'm hoping to find a replacement from a different company before I do. Bottom line is that I would never buy this again or gift it to anyone I cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment